Wednesday, March 11, 2015

How To Eat An Alkaline Diet

As we discussed last week, proponents of an alkaline diet say that it can help cleanse and detoxify your body, and improve your health in many different ways.  But just how hard is it to eat an alkaline diet?

Increasing your intake of alkaline foods does not have to be extraordinarily difficult, and one does not have to cut acidic foods entirely from his or her diet.

It is recommended that your diet consist of around 80% alkaline food sources while acidic foods make up the remaining 20%.

This is in stark contrast to the average diet in America, which often flips that ratio around. Here are some changes in your diet which can be made quickly and easily in order to correct your pH level.

1. Swap Coffee For Green Tea

This time it's green tea.
Green tea time. (Photo credit: Wikipedia)
One great example is you might switch from coffee to green tea in order to bring your blood’s pH level higher. Green tea is alkaline while coffee is highly acidic, so the substitution may make a drastic change for your health, especially if you consume coffee quite often. This is a change which any Zen master will definitely approve of, and green tea contains many healthy antioxidants as well.

2. Choose Alkalizing Vegetables

I'm sure you've heard how important it is to eat your vegetables, but some vegetables are more alkalizing than others. Some particularly alkalizing varieties are broccoli, celery, chard greens, collard greens, cucumber, cauliflower, and mushrooms, just to name a few. These foods are alkaline and will not only help reduce stress on the body in fighting acid, but they are also highly nutrient dense and just plain good for you!

3. Choose Alkalizing Fruits

Some of the best fruits are also alkalizing ones, including, melons, lemons, oranges, peaches, pears, apples, bananas, berries, cantaloupe and grapes.

Remember, you do not have to all eliminate dairy products, rice, and protein from animal sources in order to maintain a healthy pH level.

However, it will definitely benefit you to substitute commonly consumed refined sugars and starches with healthy fruits and vegetables more often than not.

According to those in the alkaline camp, making these simple changes in your diet, along with drinking plenty of green tea, will help increase pH levels and naturally improve your health.

Note: All information on this blog is for informational purposes only, and should not be considered as medical advice or treatment. You should consult your doctor before beginning any new diet plan or cleanse.

Check Out These Resources for More Info On the Alkaline Diet:

No comments:

Post a Comment