Monday, July 25, 2011

Tips to Detox Your Pet’s Space

We talk a lot on here about toxic load, and detoxification for you and your household, but what about your pets? Pets can find things toxic that you would have no reaction to (and vice versa), so it is a good idea if you have pets, to keep an eye out for things that may be harmful to them, even if you wouldn't give it a second thought for yourself. Accidental deaths and injuries can often result from pets getting into toxic substances. Like little children, pets need to be watched and, when left alone, their space needs to be free of toxins and dangerous substances. Here are some common things to look out for.

Another shot of my pets hanging out, for my us...Image via WikipediaFood:

Dogs are prone to eating all manner of food. Anything their owner is eating is fair game as far as they are concerned. But there are some common foods that can be harmful or even lethal to pets. Here are some foods to keep out of your dog's reach:

* Chocolate
* Grapes and raisins
* Soft drinks
* Coffee
* Walnuts
* Avocados


Cats are especially prone to munching on houseplants. They will also help themselves to your garden plants outdoors. Look online for a comprehensive list of plants that are poisonous to pets. Here is a partial list:

* Aloe
* English Ivy
* Morning Glory
* Yew
* Crocus
* Calla Lily

Provide cats with potted, sprouted greens like wheat and rye grass so that they will be less tempted to eat houseplants. Keep your dog on a leash or in a fenced-in yard, and inspect the yard before letting your dog have the run of the fenced area.

Household Cleaners:

Take care not to use toxic cleaners on your floors, whether carpet, vinyl, hardwood, or other flooring. Most harsh, chemical floor cleaners should either not be used (this is the best option, both for your pets AND your family!) or if they must, they should be used only when the pet is not in the room, and the pet should not allowed back into the room until the floor is dry. Store cleaners, including shampoos, laundry soap, and dishwashing detergent well out of reach of your pets.


Animals can eat some really disgusting things when allowed to roam unchecked through your neighborhood. Even your yard and immediate property can pose hazards.

Cats and dogs will catch and eat rodents, insects, and grass, all of which could contain poisons. Rodents could have ingested rat poison or have worms. Insects could have been exposed to pesticides or your pet may be allergic to the insect's bite or sting. And neighborhood grass could be sprayed with weed killer or other chemicals. (Hopefully if you're reading this blog, you are practicing organic lawn care/sustainable gardening, so your yard at least should be safe!)

Pet MiceImage via WikipediaSmall Animals:

Small pets like hamsters and mice need a safe space, too. Do not give your caged rodents cotton for bedding; they can ingest it, causing a blockage. Also, colored inks in newspaper and cardboard can be toxic (carcinogenic) to rodents, especially pet mice. So make sure your caged rodent has safe chewing toys and non-toxic bedding.

Keep all pills, medicines, and supplements out of your pet's reach. If you leave a bottle of pain reliever on the counter with the lid loose, your cat could knock it off and it - and the dog - could eat the pills and even be killed.

Do not use plug-in scents or scented candles in your pet's space. They may smell too good and invite ingestion. If you must, use non-toxic products, and keep them up well out of reach of pets.
Enhanced by Zemanta

1 comment:

  1. I see the greatest contents on your blog and I extremely love reading them.
    detox for dog